Users can download and install Ubuntu 21.04 directly, or upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04 from 20.10. Users of this release will be able to upgrade to Ubuntu 21.10 later this year.
This version of Ubuntu — the 34th release since 2006, fact fans — is a short-term release that comes with 9 months of security updates, critical fixes, and select software updates.
On the other hand, you can skip straight to the download , if you want to grab a copy to try for yourself!
Ubuntu flavours offer a unique way to experience Ubuntu, each with their own choice of default applications and settings. Ubuntu flavours are backed by the full Ubuntu archive for packages and updates.
- Kubuntu – Kubuntu offers the KDE Plasma Workspace experience, a good-looking system for home and office use.
- Lubuntu – Lubuntu is a light, fast, and modern Ubuntu flavor using LXQt as its default desktop environment. Lubuntu used to use LXDE as its default desktop environment.
- Ubuntu Budgie – Ubuntu Budgie provides the Budgie desktop environment which focuses on simplicity and elegance. It provides a traditional desktop metaphor based interface utilising a customisable panel based menu driven system.
- Ubuntu Kylin – The Ubuntu Kylin project is tuned to the needs of Chinese users, providing a thoughtful and elegant Chinese experience out-of-the-box.
- Ubuntu MATE – Ubuntu MATE expresses the simplicity of a classic desktop environment. Ubuntu MATE is the continuation of the GNOME 2 desktop which was Ubuntu’s default desktop until October 2010.
- Ubuntu Studio – Ubuntu Studio is a multimedia content creation flavor of Ubuntu, aimed at the audio, video and graphic enthusiast or professional.
- Xubuntu – Xubuntu is an elegant and easy to use operating system. Xubuntu comes with Xfce, which is a stable, light and configurable desktop environment.
Ubuntu 21.04 features the Linux 5.11 kernel, the latest GNOME 3.38 point release, better integration with Microsoft’s Active Directory, and recovery key support for encrypted installs.
There’s also a roster of updated apps, tools, and libraries, an improved dark theme, and the Wayland display server is now the default session on all hardware that supports it.
- Wayland by default
- Private home directory
- Recovery key for encrypted installs
- Ability to select a Power Mode in Settings > Power
- Improved Active Directory integration
- Refreshed dark theme
- New desktop icons extension
- Linux 5.11 kernel
- Python 3.9
Speaking about the release, Mark Shuttleworth, CEO of Canonical, says:
Download Ubuntu 21.04
You can download Ubuntu 21.04 from the official Ubuntu website using the provided link(s) below :
After downloading completes, you’ll need to write the
.iso image to a USB stick/Pen drive.
Use Etcher, an open source tool to do it.
Then, insert the USB in an empty port of your computer and turn it on, knowing that’s where you want to install Ubuntu, choosing to boot from the USB.